Monday, April 21, 2014

Modest is Hottest


 

I’ve noticed that not many teenagers believe in God, let alone follow the “rules” of the Bible, so to most of you; this blog on how Christianity sees beauty is useless. Almost every religion I can think of teaches modesty and has a clear image of how the ideal follower should be, and because I know more about Christianity it is easier to share about.

Samuel 16:7 says: But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” In my opinion, if God only looked at beauty from the inside, then it shouldn’t matter how we choose dress or express ourselves (ex: tattoos & piercings). However, it does matter.
Each summer my friend goes away to a Christian camp in northern Ontario. At the beginning of the two months at camp all the girls and guys are separated into separate rooms to have the modesty talk. They(the girls) are told that tight clothing, bra straps, underwear lines, cleavage, bikinis, and the list goes on, are inappropriate and there will be punishments if any of those are seen. She has previously asked me to join her for a summer but I could never do it, so many rules!  I'm sure these rules are in the campers best interest but, is the point of a religious camp to set rules or to bring people closer to their religion?
the Duggars

The TV known Christian family, the Duggars (from 19 kids and counting) are known for their modesty dress. Michelle and Jim Bob teach their children, specifically the girls that modesty is a form of beauty. They believe that natural beauty is key and will attract a certain kind of man for their girls. Each thing they do is done to please the Lord. Helping out their fellow “brothers and sisters in Christ” by not letting them “stumble” is important. By doing this they are letting their God-given beauty shine through which to them is the highest form of praise.

As I've mentioned in previous blogs, I don't believe I can tell you what is beautiful and what isn't. Therefore, in my opinion neither can a religion. A religion is a way of life, but it should not matter how you look. Modesty is beautiful... but it is not everything.

 
Sources:
http://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-beauty.html
http://duggarsblog.blogspot.ca/2013/07/duggars-in-buckeye-state.html

2 comments:

  1. LOL Carly your so cute! I love how you related your blog about beauty to the bible. I believe that most religions that do talk about beauty and appearances revolve around the quote of "do not judge a book by its cover". Omg how can your friend go to this camp though it seems like way too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I really liked this blog post of yours! I feel like it was really from you heart and theres what a lot of truth in what you wrote. I also wanted to mention that 19 Kids and Counting is a show that I do watch here and there. It's a good show. And yes, appearance should not be all in one's life!

    ReplyDelete